Code of Conduct and Other School Policies
- We follow all policies of the School Board of Polk County, FL.
- Our COUGAR CREED: Lake Shipp Cougars will…
- Be Responsible
- Be Respectful
- Be Cooperative
- Be Peaceful
- Be Successful
- Anti Bullying information and Report it here
- Nondiscrimination Statement
In an effort to reduce the circulation of counterfeit U.S. monies, the school district will no longer accept any $50 or $100 bills at any school-sponsored events. We apologize for any inconvenience, but ask that you support this initiative. Please plan accordingly when you attend our events. Thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What time does school start? Our school day begins at 8:00 am.
What is the earliest I can drop my child off at school? You may drop your child off at 7:30am.
How do I get to Lake Shipp Elementary? View a map to the school.
What is the LSE dress code? Lake Shipp Elementary follows the Polk County School Board Dress Code. Our additional colors are hunter green and red.
- This year the school advisory council voted to have only dress uniform pants.
- Jeans are no longer a part of our uniform dress code for 2014-2015.
- The Uniform Dress Code does not allow for clothing with colored trim, stripes, embroidery, decoration, etc.
- It also does not provide for overalls
(overalls with pants or shorts), sweat pants, knit pants/skirts, leggings, etc.
- Bottoms: DRESS UNIFORM twill Pants or shorts (navy, khaki, black)
In addition for girls DRESS UNIFORM dress, skirt,
- must be plain uniform twill dress pants
- NO holes or cut offs allowed.
- Tops: White, red, navy, burgundy, hunter green with collar
- must have long or short sleeves
- knit polo-type or woven dress shirts, plain blouses
- School t-shirts are OK (available thru the school office)
- Other dress code rules
- a belt is required if the garment has belt loops
- shirts (including t-shirts) must be tucked in
- Hooded sweatshirts and coats are allowed but must comply with school top policy – zipper all the way down or buttons
- Hoods are not worn unless it is winter cold.
- shorts/skirts must be mid-thigh or longer
- clothing or footwear that is construed by the principal or designee as hazardous or dangerous to the health of the student or others can be prohibited
- clothes must be appropriate size, with waist of garment worn at student’s waist; clothing that is too tight or too loose is not appropriate for school
- school administrators will determine if clothing is appropriate for school and complies with district rules
- open toe sandals or shoes are not allowed
- MANDITORY tennis shoes on PE days
What are the hours of KidCare? KidCare opens at 2:45pm and closes at 6:00pm. Please contact the main KidCare office at (863) 291-5391 for more information.
How much does it cost to enroll my child in KidCare? Costs vary according to family income. Contact KidCare at (863) 291-5391 for more information.
How much are breakfasts and lunches? All of our students receive free breakfast and lunch.
How do I apply for free/reduced lunch? Stop by the school office for an application. After it is submitted, the lunchroom manger will contact you with the results. Click here to go to the Free and Reduced Lunch FAQ.
What do I do if I (or anyone else) want to eat lunch with my child? Anyone that would like to have lunch must be on the student’s emergency card. Stop by the front office; sign in the visitor’s book and pickup your visitors tag. You can then meet your child in the lunchroom. You do not meet your child at the classroom.
What is the policy for bringing balloons/flowers to school? Gifts, flowers and balloons may not be delivered or brought to the school. It is disruptive to the academic process. Any gifts, balloons, flowers brought to the school will remain in the front office and the parent will be called to pick them up. Polk County School health and wellness guidelines do not allow for cupcakes and snacks throughout the school year.
My child’s birthday is coming could I send something in to celebrate? According to the Lake Shipp Student Handbook on page 8, gifts, flowers and balloons may not be delivered or brought to the school. It is disruptive to the academic process. Any gifts, balloons, flowers brought to the school will remain in the front office and the parent will be called to pick it up. Polk County School health and wellness guidelines do not allow for cupcakes and snacks throughout the school year.
Is my child allowed to pass out invitations at school? Party invitations may not be distributed during school hours.
What if my child needs medications? All medicines must be in the original container and have an authorization signed by the doctor’s office before any medicine can be dispensed. An adult must bring the medication to the clinic. Students may NOT transport medication to/from school.
Why do I have to have my Government Issued Photo ID to check my child out? It is for the safety of your child, as well as a Polk County School requirement.
Do agendas need to be signed every night? Yes, the agenda is a communication tool between home and school. This is the method teachers will use to share information. Additionally, all graded papers will be sent home in the Monday Parent/Communicator Folder (green).
How can I view my child’s grades online? You can access your child’s grades through Parent Portal.
What is the Code of Conduct? Florida Statute 1006.07 requires that all school districts adopt and distribute a Code of Student Conduct to all teachers, school personnel, students, and parents at the beginning of every school year. The statute specifically spells out that the document “shall be discussed at the beginning of every school year in student classes, school advisory council meetings, and parent and teacher association or organization meetings.” Click here to access the 2012-2013 Code of Conduct.
Parents with students with Special Needs (ESE) find out more